Carolyn Bourke1, Shayne Stenhouse 2
1 Telehealth Service, Darling Downs Hospital & Health Service, Mt Lofty Nursing Home, Rifle Range Road, Toowoomba, 4350 email@example.com
2 The Telehealth Service, Darling Downs Hospital & Health Service, Mt Lofty Nursing Home, Rifle Range Road, Toowoomba, 4350, firstname.lastname@example.org
Established in 2014, the Darling Downs Telehealth team consists of a Clinical Nurse Consultant and a Business Coordinator and together they have created a momentum for change with great teamwork.
Non admitted Telehealth service events have grown significantly in the past 3 years in the Darling Downs Hospital and Health Service, with a 15% increase in the past 12 months.
Their success can be attributed to great communication and a capacity to do things that can’t be done by challenging the norm and asking why not?
The benefit of the blended team has given rise to different ways of thinking – think like a clinician and thinks like a business manager to achieve our results.
Processes undertaken include:
- Monitoring and streamlining data collection
- Review clinical & administration processes
- Monthly report to HHS Board members
- Regular rounding with all specialities and all facilities
- Establishment of sound relationships with the Administration and Clinical teams
- Working on the business and not in business
- Consultation with clinical and business leads
- Creation of a telehealth action plan
- Data review, measurement and analysis
New models of care under development:
Opportunities to bridge the gap:
- Expand Tele-dental into school dental vans and private nursing homes
- Collaboration with DDWMPHN – integrating public & private health care
- Ongoing clinician engagement within General Practice
- PTSS Project to decrease patient travel and achieve more care locally via Telehealth
- Contribute to development of the Nurse Navigators role and telehealth capacity