Paul Stevens, Freemasons Homes of Southern Tasmania
In 2014 and 2015 Freemasons Homes has conducted a focussed and successful training program for Managers and Supervisors on “Leadership in the Workplace”. The program involved 38 senior and middle managers conducted over 2 sessions each of 2 hours with reading and reflection exercises to complement the training.
This workshop would be a summary of the principal content and elements which constitute the training program, but also involving participants in interactive exercises. Specifically the program includes:
- The aged care context and the values and ethics which underpin high quality care and effectiveness
- Understanding of self and the impact of our attitudes and behaviours on team members
- Understanding the context and motivation for the attitudes and behaviours of others
- Providing reinforcement and encouragement to help team members contribute more positively in their teams
- Delivering constructive and corrective feedback to improve performance
- Managing and diminishing the impact of conflict and confrontational behaviour.
The format for the workshop would be based around real life situations from the workplace, with scenarios and settings that are drawn from experiences that participants would recognise as realistic.
While the workshop could ‘at best’ serve as a ’taster’ to the program it may give participants an incentive to consider similar programs in their own settings.